Saturday, February 7, 2009

Living on Less: Challenge #1

Challenge #1-Write down your monthly expenses
I like to type up my expenses in two columns, one for the 1st-15th and the second column for 16th-30th (because we get paid on the 1st and the 15th). I list each expense with a little line to the left of it, the amount, or the average for power, gas and other expenses that aren't an exact amount each month. Next to each expense I list the exact day that it is due so bills can be paid on time.
Most of my bills are paid online, since it is quick and easy and saves the cost of mailing in bills (.42 x 10 bills each month=$4.20 x 12 months= $50.40 per year, just on stamps for those 10 bills each month). (I also would like to think that by leaving money in my own account longer, I am earning interest, which can add up. It may only add up up to $3 a year, but it is $3 that you really didn't have to do a lot to earn, right?)

I check off each expense as it is paid that way I know which bills are still due and I can figure out how much money I need in my account to pay the bills that are still due.

Challenge #1,part2-Spend less on groceries
Take a look at your expenses and decide to spend less on your food budget by a certain amount each week. I feed a family of 6 for $60 each week. I can't tell you how much your budget should be. It depends on your family. You'll have to decide how much you want to lower your weekly budget by (spending $20 less each week might not be alot if your budget is $200/week but makes a big difference if your budget is only $60).

The link below shows the USDA for Food at Home. Wow! On the Thrifty plan (and if I only had to feed a family of 4 I would be spending $600)!

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publications/FoodPlans/2008/CostofFoodDec08.pdf

Followers

About Me

I am a busy wife and mom of five and I love to decorate my home. Whether it be shopping for that perfect accessory or finding exactly what I had in my mind at a second hand store to redo, I love it all. Having to do it on a tight budget has taught me how to DIY everything! I work from home doing some accounting work to support my habit. I have to confess...I am a decoraholic!