Thursday, July 2, 2009

Baked French Toast Casserole

This recipe is delicious and less time consuming than standing over the stove making french toast, one batch at a time, while your family gobbles it up and asks for more, before you can even enjoy one slice (like regular french toast).

1 loaf french bread (13-16 oz)
8 eggs
2 c half and half
1 c milk
2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
dash salt

praline topping, below
maple syrup

slice french bread into 20 slices. Arrange slices in two layers, overlapping slices in a 9 x 13 pan. In a large bowl, mix the rest of ingredients listed (through the salt) with a whisk, until bubbily. Pout mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture Spoon some of the mixture in between the slices. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.

You can mix the praline topping the night before also (just leave on the counter or refrigerate and let soften before putting on top), but put on top just before baking.

Praline topping:
1 stick butter
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c chopped pecans
1 Tbsp light corn syrup
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

spread over the bread and bake for 40-50 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. Serve with a drizzle of maple syrup.

The next day,preheat oven to 350.


**recipe adapted from food network

Followers

About Me

I am a busy wife and mom of five and I love to decorate my home. Whether it be shopping for that perfect accessory or finding exactly what I had in my mind at a second hand store to redo, I love it all. Having to do it on a tight budget has taught me how to DIY everything! I work from home doing some accounting work to support my habit. I have to confess...I am a decoraholic!